KIND LED K5 Grow Light Review
For many years, these lights (LEDs), were producing fewer yields when compared to their HPS (high-pressure sodium) counterparts. This is, however, no longer the case. Grow light technology has since advanced significantly and LED grow lights are able to produce yields that are comparable – or even better – than HPS bulbs. LEDs operate at much lower temperatures when compared with HPS bulbs. The end result usually is that they consume less electricity and provide growers with a chance to control the growth cycle in a way you can’t with other technologies. In this article, we give you our Kind LED K5 Grow Light review so you can determine if the XL750 or XL1000 grow lights are something you may want to consider.
The K5 XL1000 LED grow light comes with a fully customizable spectrum. This allows the grower to adjust the spectrum to correspond with all growth stages of the plants.
• Seedlings – at this stage, the grow light should ideally be tuned to a low spectrum due to the tender or sensitive nature of seedlings. Kind recommends a spectrum range of 15/30/30 once the seeds have broken the surface, and a range of 30/60/60 as soon as the first set of true leaves have emerged.
• Clones – clones may be a bit stronger than fresh seedlings, but they still require a gentle spectrum range. Kind recommends a range of 25/45/45 at this stage.
• Vegetative – during the vegetative stage, plants tend to utilize high levels of the blue light. Kind recommends a range of 30/60/60, 45/80/80, or 60/100/100 depending on plant type.
• Flowering – during the flowering stage, a plant tends to have many complicated biological responsibilities and will now need larger amounts of light. Kind recommends a light range of 100/100/100 at this stage.
• Late flowering – during this stage, the plant is likely to have stopped most developmental processes and should be gearing for the ripening stage. Kind recommends dialing the blues lower to a 100/70/100 to stimulate a late summer atmosphere.
LEDs, were, for many years, producing fewer yields when compared to their HPS (high-pressure sodium) counterparts. One of the major reasons behind this was a small footprint largely due to a small circuit board construction.
One of the most crucial components to a good harvest lies in a well-lit canopy. K5 XL1000 comes with high-quality diodes that have not only been intensified with groundbreaking secondary optical lenses but have also been spread over an extra-large housing. This has resulted in a significant increase in PAR value and a 200% deep canopy penetration.
The 200% deep canopy penetration means the 2nd and 3rd level canopies receive sufficient light, and the plant is thus able to create more flowering sites further down, which in turn, leads to more yields.
The K5 XL1000 LED grow light features an 8-stage timing function that mimics Mother Nature like never seen before in the industry. This feature takes plants through the natural stages of the sun, namely: the morning sun, the full day sun, the gentle evening sun. Each one of these stages can be controlled to the desired duration and spectrum intensity.
The K5 XL1000 grow light mixes 3 watt and 5-watt diodes to create the perfect lighting for huge, flourishing and healthy crops. 3-watt diodes emit a gentle light but may not have the ability to penetrate plant copy efficiently. 5-watt diodes have the ability to penetrate plant canopy efficiently, but their light tends to run a bit too hot for the plants liking.
The K5 XL1000 grow light mixes 3-watt and 5-watt diodes to create a grow light that boasts of the best of both worlds – lighting that doesn’t run too hot but holds the capacity to penetrate plant canopy powerfully.
Just like all K5 grow lights, the XL1000 uses Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) dimming, a dimming method that lessens the brightness of the light without consuming extra energy. This means that the light consumes only the power needed to drive the diodes even when the brightness level is increased.
All functions of the K5 XL1000 are operated from a convenient handheld remote. The remote is universal which means it can be used on any Kind light.
The Kind K5 XL1000 grow light has been UL-listed. All UL-listed products carry a mark to certify that they have been tested by UL and been found to meet most stringent safety standards. UL free products are free from reasonably foreseeable hazards such as electric shock, fire, and related hazards.
The K5 XL1000 grow light comes with a complete 3-year factory warranty.
Initially, the grow light should be positioned 48 inches above the plant canopy for an acclimation period of 3-7 days. After the acclimation period, the recommended height is 30 – 36 inches above the plant canopy.
Since all plants have different lighting needs, Kind recommends an overall minimum distance of 24 inches from plant canopy.
LED lights can be a bit harsh on the human eye. As a result, Kind recommends the use of protective eyewear in every setting where their grow lights are in use.